Monday 4 February 2013

Preliminary Task: First Thoughts


For my preliminary task i am required to create a school newsletter. I have previously analysed the Deyes High school newletter in terms of colours, images, layout and font etc and deducted that it's main target audience is the parents of the sudents. However, i believe it was ineffective in efficiently targeting them, and so when i create my newsletter, this must be addressed to ensure a good newsletter is produced.

With my school newsletter I shall target the student's parents as due to past experience i have learn't that although some students may briefly read the newsletter, it is prodominently the parents that take any major interest, as the students already know what is occuring in the school. With the parents as my target audience, i will have to make sure that my newsletter gives a mature impression, and so will cater the colours, pictures and overall layout to the more mature audience.

In relation to the colour scheme, I will have to select colours that are suitable for a Deyes High newsletter but ones that still give a mature impression. The colours in the pre-existing newsletter were the colours of the school badge, which was appropriate but i found the colours used to be too bright. Therefore the colour scheme for my newsletter shall use darker versions of those in the school newsletter to give a more mature impression, helping me to effectively target parents.

The fonts that are used within my newsletter will have to be chosen carefully. I will not choose fonts such as Comic Sans as fonts such as this very informal which is unsuitable for my newsletter. Instead, i'll will use formal paragraphing with a font such as Times New Roman to appeal to my target audience, however i will not make my paragraphs too large as this will discourage a lot of people from reading the contents.

In addition, the pictures that i use in my newsletter will be more professional than those in the existing Deyes High newsletter. The existing newsletter used a mixture of professional photographs and clip art images, these images gave a 'childish' impression when reading the newsletter, therefore i aim to include generally professional photographs, such as the ones in the 'drama' section of the Deyes High newsletter, as these worked well in creating a more formal presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment